In this day of rushing and running, we tend to block every second of our lives. Make a commitment today, to give yourself, and your children FIVE:
Five Extra Minutes
Aim to leave your house five minutes before you have to. No more yelling at the door. No more running yellow lights. No more fear-driven decisions because you’re almost late. Try setting an alarm on your phone. Let them pick the tone or song that gets them moving out the door.
Five Ways to Get There
Sam Livingston is in the centre of a curvy grid. There are several ways to maneuver around the school without having to break a single traffic law, and still get your child to their door safely. Have a look at the area map today to plan the route best for you. Older children could utilize the kiss-n-go drop off areas.
Five Minutes of Activity
If you drive to school, park further away and walk the last distance. If you live close enough to walk or ride to school, try to do so as often as possible. Numerous studies have proven that physical activity before school immensely improves your child’s learning capacity. Bonus, if you arrive early, you also can have 5 extra minutes of play time with your child! Supervision begins at 7:50am, if you need to leave.
Five Laws to Know
- U-Turns are illegal in intersections with signal lights, crosswalks, or prohibiting signs, as well as in alleys.
- Bus zones BEGIN at the intersection and continue to the sign. There is no stopping in these zones. Be aware at school (there are 4 bus zones) as well as at your bus drop zone at home.
- You must leave 5 metres between your parked car and any intersection in all directions. It is 1.5 metres for driveway/garage clearance.
- There is absolutely NO entry into the staff parking for parents at any time.
- The speed limit is 30km/hr in every playground and school zone from 7:30am until 9:00pm. There are several of these around the school.
Late happens. Flat tires, lost bags, traffic, and life, happens. Choose safety first, for all our children’s sake, every single day. Forgive yourself if you’re a little behind sometimes. Late slips happen, that’s why we have several, and they’re laminated.